Current Time in Pago Pago

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Love Thy Neighbor

This week Mindy and I became bosom friends! Just like Anne Shirley and Diana berry….actually more like Lucy and Ethel (I’m Ethel, the innocent bystander that get ropes into doing crazy things!) This started because Matthew and I have moved about a block from Mindy and since were home most of the day we spend our lonely hours together to make them less lonely and a lot more adventurous. For example, last week we went to this fun new park that has play equipment for grown ups! Mindy wanted to show me one that spins around really really fast! I got on, not knowing what to expect and found my world spinning dizzily around me while I was clinging to the rod or iron for dear life ( a little teaching moment plug) that was almost two weeks ago and I am STILL dizzy (really! I’m not exaggerating!) Then on Wednesday we went to the cannery to meet the body quota for Mindy’s ward. The peaches were coming so fast we felt like Lucy and Ethel at the chocolate factory. For the younger generation, here is a link to show you what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWvWcGIHPPQ

On Thursday Mindy took me to dream dinners where Mindy discovered powdered mustard for the first time and she showed me her mad zesting skills. It was such a new thing for Mindy that I had to video tape it!


But, out of all our fun adventures, Saturday was the best! We were suppose to help with a boy scout function but when we arrived we were informed that we would be doing football drills with about 30 nine year old boys for forty five minutes. Kyle saw the fear, dismay, and confusion in our faces and graciously took our spots. With that covered Mindy and I went to the mall. Now, those who know me know how much I detest shopping. It really isn’t my “thing” but Mindy went to great lengths to make it less torturous and even at some moments enjoyable. We also went to a farmers market which brought great amusement as the sales clerk explained supplements to Mindy and I gleefully looked on. Several moments in that conversation stand out to me, like when the clerk was explaining “the three super foods” which are spinach, salmon, and blueberries, but Mindy thought they were Twinkies, ho ho’s and brownies combined. Or when I had to explain to the clerk that Mindy’s idea of eating healthy was a caffeine free, diet, mountain dew. I knew it was time to go when Mindy stopped the clerk to ask her if she was speaking English. It was quite entertaining and I knew that some of it had sunk in when Mindy made the most incredible salmon dinner for us! It was citrus salmon and Matthew confessed that he preferred it over my lemon pepper salmon ( to which he got the stink eye!) I have to hand it to Mindy! She’s come a long way! From not knowing what an apple is (ask Mindy to explain) to spending several minutes in a health food store/farmers market! With all this fun packed into one week, I’m excited to see what the future holds with Mindy as our new neighbor.

3 comments:

Jill said...

I thought that the two of you went Bra shopping and that's how you became "bosom friends" lol. I am jeleous that I don't live down there and share in all your adventures! I am glad you are becoming good friends. :-)

Mindy said...

Jessica is very easy to be friends with! It makes my day whenever I get to spend time with her...or you..since this is your blog...but I am kinda talking to Jill and who ever else reads this. And good job with keeping up on your blog...I know its hard now that you are in school and dont have internet.

Scott R. said...

Jessica,

Scott and I can not get over how cool my "airline ticket" is! We just keep looking at it over and over, noticing great new details each time we inspect it. You must have some Delta connection that wasn't afraid to abuse his powers! Let us just say, we are impressed. Sisters Day promises to be full of fun, creative details I'm sure!

Sarah