Current Time in Pago Pago

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

“ I like to move it, move it, I like to move it…..”

Growing up my mother always said that “move” is a 4 letter word. After about our fifth move I understood what that meant. By the time I was 17 I had moved 18 times so I guess you could say that I’ve got this down to a science. I remember as a kid we stayed in the same place for more than a year and I started moving my furniture around every month to mix things up a bit. In our extensive courtship, Matthew and I found that we both had nomadic tendencies….it’s in our blood! One of Matthew’s friends was excited that Matthew was getting married and finaly “setteling down.” After 2 years and finishing our tenth move (that’s a move every 73 days) I have to say I’m a bit nervous. We just signed a six month lease (that’s a total of 180 days!) that’s 2.4657534246575342465753424657534 times longer than we have stayed anywhere! (it’s true! Do the math!) I don’t know how I feel about that. I don’t mean to toot my own horn but I consider myself a “mover and a shaker and hottie high heart breaker” (to quote a popular song of the day) I don’t know if I can sit still that long! But, again, as my mother always said, you bloom where you’re planted.
This move was quite unique compared to our other moves. Matthew and I have learned how to live quite comfortably on what the airlines will allow. And in Seattle we discovered that it wouldn’t be so bad to be homeless because we can live like kings on what we can fit in our car. But, for the first time in our married lives we have all our earthly positions in one location (minus food storage and a few odds and ends at my mothers..bless her soul). We never realized we have so much stuff! By the fifth truck load matthew was ready to throw it all off the balcony, light a match, and head for missourie. I can’t say that I blame him! After living in a 15 x 20 studio I realize how little we need to live on. But we are now setteling in comfortably and loving our new place. My creative juices are starting to flow (to matthew’s fear) and our apartment it working into a beautiful home with portability in mind. All our positions fit in rubbar maid containers, our soon to be king size bed (we’re enjoying the romantic sentiments of sleeping on the floor with a georgeous headboard!) is made of detatchable parts that can be moved by one person, and the majority of things we’ve bought are colapsable and can fit in an overhead compartment.
After it all, we have been truly blessed! We have a great apartment that is close to family and friends (yes, we’ve even made friends). We’re growing closer together and learning to depend on each other as a couple, and the Lord is blessing us in abundance. We’re greatful for all He’s done and for the fun adventures that await us in our next move in 175 days….and counting. J

P.S. all are invited to come, stay, and play! We have a pool, comfy couches (thanks to the case family), and plenty of twiggs and berries to share! Ya’ll come down now ya hear!

1 comment:

Mindy said...

I am so glad you are close to us...at least until your 6 month lease is up!