Current Time in Pago Pago

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Mix and Mingle

We just got back from Matthew's first "camp out" as cub scout leader.We really had a great time. I remember the cucky, lame, weird skits, chants and music that the young boys would come up with when my brother was in scouts and I can testify that things have not changed. We watched for about an hour as funny little 10 year old boys acted out owls eating worms and chants in Samoan. Even the parents were yelling " lava, lava" or "enough, enough."

But we had a great time. My favorite part was a game called "mix and mingle" where everyone walks around dancing to the music till the leader yells a number at which everyone starts grabbing at each other in a mad panic trying to get that number of people in their group. It's like musical chairs but with people instead of chairs. The best part was when the leader yelled out 2 and Matthew and a sturdy samoan man run and grab each other in a big bear hug. They stand there hugging each other till the leader validates that they have 2 people in their group and the music starts again.

Another highlight was when we brought vegan hot dogs. Keep in mind this is a Samoan camp out. We were impressed that we got a few people to try our chips and salsa but the sauerkraut on the hot dogs was a no go. We really had a great time with a lot of laughs but I'm happy to be sleeping in my own bed tonight!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just read ALL your blogs. What an amazing experience! I have a problem with blogging - a technnical one. Let me know if you get this.

Anonymous said...

Sorry - I didn't identify myself. This is Mom Teeples!