Current Time in Pago Pago

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

"We've only just begun, to live"


So the Monson’s aren’t much for camping. My father’s version of camping was motel 6 and while we all like the idea of being out in nature and communing with God’s creations, it seems that we are following in his footsteps. But, in an effort to make memories we all decided to get together on the third and go camping for a few nights out at baker reservoir. We all had different ideas of how to go about this adventure (now, this is a real adventure, not an errands kind of adventure) but the basic concept was the same, sleep in a tent, play at the lake, and sing cum-bi-ah while munching on smores around a camp fire. Its all quite utopian!

Matthew and I, as usual, wanted to keep it simple yet elegant. We packed a tent, sleeping bag, fishing gear, and our meal assignments and were off to reserve our spot by the lake. Thankfully we found a spot with some shade to protect us from the 110 degree heat and went about setting up our perfect little campsite nestled in the foliage. As we finished setting up we could hear the fish calling our names in the distance so we headed to the lake to pass the time till the others arrived. In the hour that followed, the fish, regrettably, stopped calling Matthew’s name and started calling mine. Unfortunately, Matthew did not catch anything. I, on the other hand, caught 3 fish that seemed to be the average size (3 inches) for this particular lake.
We returned to camp to find that the others had arrived with a slightly different method of camping then we had. They came with awnings and grills, chairs and stoves, and even a 12 piece professional chef knife set. Matthew and I realized we were out of our league. Linda even had her own private tent. Pretty classy for a 3 year old! Finally, camp was set up and it was back to the lake for some kayaking, compliments of Mindy. At first we were a bit hesitant but once I saw Matthew in his cowboy hat, sunglasses, and life jacket, I knew I was sold! I would have swum across the lake to get a good look at him! Wow! Now, I know this might seem a little weird since the majority of people reading this are Matthew’s sisters but I must say what a hotty Matthew was in that Kayak!
After I caught 3 more fish and Matthew caught one, we decided to call it a day and head back to camp for dinner. We had a great weenie roast complimented by organic taro, beet, and onion chips. A feast fit for a king (or at least 2 organic junkies). At around midnight the kids started getting crankier then was preferred so we decided it was time to turn in. With Andrew, Dawnalyn, the baby, the baby’s play pen, swing, car seat, changing table, toys, blankets, and more princess paraphernalia then is decent, it was obvious there was not enough room for the entire Monson family. So, being the sweet, lovable, caring uncle and aunt we are, we decided to invite Zoë to stay in our tent with us. We thought it would be a sweet experience to play house and give us a taste of parenthood. It ended up being more of a taste then we wanted (kind of like when we took Casey to IKEA and she threw up in the car).
The night began with Matthew and I coowing over what a cherubim she was and how we would love one of our own. By morning we had a different view. One moment she was an angelic creature and the next she was a Saint Bernard trying to brush off a chew guard and catch his tail at the same time. By morning she was sleeping cross ways at the head of the bed and let’s just say that Matthew got the nice end! The worst wake up call of my life came with the smell of an 8 hour old dipper and a twitching leg aimed straight at my face.
After such a wonderful nights rest we decided to call it a trip. We stayed at the lake a while longer where the grand total was Jessica, 8 fish, Matthew 5. We then returned to Mindy’s house for a reprieve from the heat and the outdoors we had been infected with. Don’t get me wrong, I love the outdoors! But when you can’t smell a difference between the man and the raccoon in your tent, it’s time to return to civilization!
So we returned to air conditioning and running water, pillow top beds and satellite TV. We had a great BBQ with my family and watched old movies. We relaxed on carpeted floors and plush couches and felt even more patriotic since we weren’t watching our tax dollars go up in smoke. One firework did go off and Linda grabbed her ears. We asked if she was alright, and with her ears still covered she said, “it’s kind of ear shocking” wise words for a three year old!
After a sound nights sleep in a well air conditioned home (have I mentioned that it was air conditioned?) we felt revitalized and prepared for our next adventure!

5 comments:

Jill said...

Mike and I decided that we are "Day campers" as well. Who likes to toss and turn all night? That was hilarious. Good up dating Jessica!

Mindy said...

That was a great blog! I was not expecting you to blog since I know you are not at home but you really have changed your blogging ways and have gone the extra blogging mile by blogging on the road. Can I say blogging once more? Blogging!
I think Kyle sortof felt jilted because the Kyakas are technically his (and Christians) and you only thanked me. Plus, we want you to come back and party at our house when we are actually here to enjoy it. Camping at my house is a lot of fun! I am glad you got the air conditioner to work...i worried about that! love ya lots!

Mindy said...

And by the way...I saw Butch in the closet and put him back on Kyles side of the bed before he even noticed! Nice try!

Mindy said...

oh yeah...i saw your mom at walmart and she told me she has a blog but I can not remember the name! Let me know.

My World said...

Was it really as bad as it sounds? It was hot and dirty...the worst part was the other campers next to us. Yeah there was a lot of extra stuff that somehow ended up in my living room. Thank heaven the Visiting Teachers came so I had to get it out of the living room. We need to go fishing again as soon as you get back.