Current Time in Pago Pago

Monday, July 21, 2008

" I Belong To The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter - Day Saint "

Hello Everyone. Jessica just finished giving the F.H.E. lesson that was taken from Elder Ballard’s article in the Ensign entitled, “Sharing the Gospel using the Internet.” At the conclusion, she challenged herself and me to apply his teachings. So, what follows is our small way of obeying his counsel. We hope these stories boost your faith as they do ours.


Matthew’s story – A Testimony of Prayer


For many years my father, brothers, and I would pack up tents, bags, food and all sorts of fishing gear in hopes of catching the “big one” at the lake (isn’t that a wonderful beginning?) Each year was the same – we’d catch a gazillion fish, but nothing resembling at all the size that every fisherman dreams of…except for this one year! While loading the boat one early morning with all the essentials for a day out on the lake (ie, easy cheese, crackers, easy cheese, water, easy cheese, dried mango, easy cheese…) a suggestion was made for a prayer, prior to launching. I was appointed. Eager as we all were to get our lines in the water I kept the prayer short and sweet, but meaningful. The short prayer ended with the words, “please let us catch the sizeable fish of our hearts desires.” This drew suppressed laughter from a few on board and we were off. Not 30 minutes later my line received quite a jerk, followed by a whistling sound. It took a moment before I realized what was happening. My line was being pulled out so fast that it was whistling. Somewhat shocked but alert I reached down to adjust my drag in order to prevent busting the line. Still the line continued to go. Once all 100 or so feet of line was spent the pole literally bent into a perfect arch. “I have something and I think it’s pretty big,” I yelled. Once the motor was killed and the boat came to a stop it was confirmed. This was no snag. The line kept jerking and the pole remained arched! Could this be that magical moment that I had been wishing for all those years? After a thrilling 35 minutes of adrenaline pumping reeling, tugging, releasing and pulling, a 19 pound mackinaw was landed! (Isn’t that great!)

What a moment. I’m not a bad fisherman but what I caught that day was without a doubt a blessing from heaven – an answered prayer – a sizeable fish of my heart’s desire.


Jessica

I want to share my story of how I know The Book of Mormon is a true record of our Savior, Jesus Christ. I went off to college when I was 17 and was living in an apartment with five other girls. During the winter I suffered from severe depression. Being away from home I had no one to help me through this rough time and so I sank deeper and deeper each day. I skipped classes (which is so not like me), I slept for days at a time, and I wouldn't let myself eat even when I got hungry. My mom would call to check on me but there was nothing she could do. I told her how depressed I was and how I wanted to come home. She finally said, "I love you and I'm praying for you! How often are you reading your scriptures?" I admitted that since I was so depressed I had no desire to read. She then informed me that she was going to hang up, I was going to read my scriptures, and then I was to call her back. I did as she insisted and as I opened my scriptures they opened to Alma 26:27 which says, "Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said: Go amongst thy brethren, the Lamanites, and bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success." I felt a feeling of peace and hope come over me. My Heavenly Father knew how depressed I was. He was encouraging me to hold on, push through, have patience, and He was going to help me succeed! And He did! That Semester was my best ever! Even though I had missed so much school I still got the best grades ever! My Heavenly Father knew what I needed and the Lord got me through it. I know the Book of Mormon is true! I'm grateful for its teachings and how it helps me in my life.


2 comments:

Mindy said...

Its great to read your testimonies. You two are a spiritual pillar to everyone who meets you...I know it requires hard work and faith and so thank you for doing that because it makes others around you joyful and happy.
love ya lots

Scott R. said...

Matthew and Jessica,
We were doing our faithful "Sunday Night check on Matthew and Jessica's blog" and found nothing new. Darn. However, we realized that we never commented on this post, which we read last Sunday night. So, now we will. Thank you for being good examples and sharing your testimonies. It's excellent to see people living their religion. We're anxiously awaiting your next post. And, we missed you today Jessica. Scott told Matthew today that you ought to write your own book or at least have your own column or something. Give it some thought anyway.
Love you both, Scott and Sarah