Current Time in Pago Pago

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Zakiu he did climb the tree his Lord to see

In church this sunday I was helping with the 4-5 year old samoan class. As soon as I walked into the class already in progress half jumped up and yelled "Jeshka" the other half jumped up and yelled "Matthew." Since Jeshka is hard to say in Samoan and Matthew and I are always together most of the kid asume "Matthew" is another word for polongi and call me Matthew. After using most of the samoan I know.....No fu i lalu (sit down) Filemu (be reverent) and Vaai (look) We got the class somewhat settled down and back to the lesson. The lesson was on Zaccheus (see Luke 19) The rich man who climbed the tree to see Jesus. The teacher pulled out a picture of a white guy in a tree with Jesus looking at him. Of coarse, since its a picture of a polongi and the only polongi they have seen is Matthew they all jumped up again pointed at me and yelled Matiu. The teacher laughed and tried to tell them it was Zakiu, which sounds an awful lot like Matiu. There was no convincing them, Matiu climbed the tree to see Jesus and went to his house for dinner!

3 comments:

Glen and Marneen said...

Sounds like you guys are having such a good time! I'm sure you are the BOMB with all the kids! Just like you were in Laie! You guys ROCK! And we miss you like crazy!

Melinda said...

hi hydes! i can't believe you just left hawaii like that. you ARE crazy! we still need to have you over.
fa!

Sean, Jessi and Jaydn Coletti said...

HI Jessica! Thanks for contacting us! It was fun to look at your blog. We left AS and our Palagi life about 3 years ago. My husband is an attorney and so our job was a contract job. How long have you been there? Are you working as well? Where does your husband work?
I remember being in such shock to be living there, it took me about a month before I felt like I was going to be ok. Sounds like you have already adjusted better than I did! What made all the difference for us, was just to embrace everything the island had to offer. Instead of missing our old life, we did everything we could to fall in love with Samoa. I took a dance class and learned all the island dances. We did paddeling some afternoons in Utelei. We found an English-speaking church to attend. We explored a different beach every week-end! We had lots of dinners and parties with other palagis and nieghbors. Becuase my husband was an attorney, we lived in a neighborhood with all the other contract attorneys. In fact, we have some friends that still live there. Have you met Nikki and Matt Barnett yet? Nikki is an attorney, and I have her email if you want to get in touch with her. The other thing that helped the most was to find some friends who had already adjusted and we hung out with them a lot and learned all the tricks, and learned about the safe places to swim.
I met a lot of miserable palagis, and finally just decided to love it and we did! You just have to decide to enjoy it, and look for great activities. Our time there will always be one of the best times of our lives! We even miss it!
This is my email address seannjes@gmail.com
It will be easier to contact me through email. So you lived in Laie? what did you do there? We spent some time there with the military, but only visited Laie.
Looking forward to hearing from you!
So do you drive up the Pavaiai rode to get to your house?
Jessi Coletti